Windows Mobile 6

May 24, 2010 at 8:32 AM

Hi all

I need to develop a windows mobile application with a map, showing the position of the device. I've found MapWindow6, how can I use it on mobile?

Best regards

Manuela

Coordinator
May 24, 2010 at 4:48 PM

There is some talk about creating a windows mobile version of the map, with maybe some simplified functionality.  However, you might want to just look at using an existing mobile mapping api like google or bing maps.  Currently, we don't have a pre-compiled version that would be compatible, and much of the code base would have to be tweaked as not every method that we are using will be supported in the mobile framework.  To make matters even worse, you can't even reference our dll from within a mobile framework context.  So at least for the time being we don't have MapWindow 6 mobile yet.  Maybe down the road after the core functionality is added.  Besides, I have a droid myself, and that sort of requires using eclipse etc.  So the whole idea of a "mobile" framework starts to get dicey because windows apps simply don't run on all those different mobile platforms, and I don't think mono will help in the mobile context.  Furthermore, the data size restrictions and the awkwardness of actually editing anything make it next to impossible to develop an analytical tool that will be useful on a mobile device.  Mostly, what you need is a rather simple map that shows some data, and probably tracks your GPS location and then allows the user to add a new feature, probably launching a form so that the user can enter some attribute information.  All of that type of functionality can be accomplished while working with the typical google or microsoft map apis.  The real strength of something like MapWindow is that it gives you the power to do serious analysis under the hood.  Anyway, maybe down the road a bit we will have it, but not yet.

May 26, 2010 at 8:13 AM

Thank you for your answer! I know that Google Map API or Bing API could help me using map, but I was looking for offline maps!

Anyway, maybe it could be too difficult to use offline maps, two years ago I was using Tom Tom SDk, it was wonderful, but at the moment this API are not public, so I can't use it!!!

Best regards

Manuela