This project is read-only.

MapWindow for Mac

Nov 12, 2013 at 6:20 PM
I am trying to install MapWindow for a Mac and I have read that I can use Boot Camp. Is there a tutorial somewhere which I can follow or perhaps instructions of some sort?

Thank you
Nov 21, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Tammy, I installed MapWindow 4.8.1 a few years ago on my MacBook Pro under Basecamp and it worked fine. Basecamp is, however, a pretty big commitment. You have to create a permanent partition in your Mac hard drive for Windows, find/buy an installable copy of Windows (upgrade sw doesn't work due to Microsoft copy protection), and install Basecamp (which consists mostly of a series of windows drivers for your Mac hardware). Documentation for how to do this is all on the Mac website (Bootcamp is an Apple product). I'm pretty handy with this kind of stuff and slogged through it on my own, but you could probably get support via an Apple store/genius bar if you can't figure it out on your own.

Note that when you use Basecamp, you choose to run Windows at boot time. Essentially it turns your Mac into a very expensive (and quite fast) Windows machine. However, if you want to run your Mac, you have to shut down Windows and reboot OSX from a cold start up. Also, the Windows files will be on a separate partition, and you can only read the files from your Mac (not write files) unless you install some 3rd party software that supports NTFS (the Windows file system) under OSX. I did all of this using OSX 10.6.8 which is now kind of old school OSX; there may be some changes with later Mac systems.

If you have a newish Mac with plenty of memory and a fast, multi-core processor, you might want to consider running Windows/MapWindow concurrently in separate virtual machine. I've never run MacWindow in virtual machine, but I have used other Windows apps this way, and I would expect it to work fine. The leading commercial product is called Parallels. The Windows environment will then just be another window on your Mac desktop. The nice thing is that it uses your Mac hard drive natively, so any files you save in one environment you can easily access in both. It will run slightly slower than bootcamp (since you're sharing the machine) but the new machines are so fast anyway...

Good luck. Feel free to post questions here.

Michael